Thursday, January 13, 2011

. . . Mortality Matters . . .


"The state of being subject to death." There it is, the most concise definition of mortality that I could find on Dictionary.com. As I watched the first drips of chemotherapy going into Jada's IV today I caught view of the bag in the picture you see to the left. I swallowed hard and realized (yet again) we are not dealing with a flu or a seasonal but pesky cold. We are dealing with a very rare but also very deadly disease. "Alright, God has things under control," I say. Then I turn around just in time to see Dr. McGee. He is the one administering the radiation for Jada's treatment regimen.

He tells me that after the pathology findings Jada has gone from Stage 1 to Stage 2. This information you likely already know. What you may not know is that her chances for a cure decreased with that prognosis from 85% to somewhere in the 70s. Breathe deep Doug, pick up your phone, call your wife and let her know not to be alarmed. Just a few hours have passed since my lovely Jessica and Pierce (the newest addition to our family) visited Jada and already the joy of that has worn off with the sandblaster (forgive the weak metaphor) of unfortunate news, an all too common feeling these last few weeks.

However poor the news two things remain paramount in our thinking: one, Galatians 3:3 indicates that we have begun by the spirit and therefore cannot attain our goal by human effort. The Spirit of God has been with us in a near palpable way since day one - this means, quite simply, that Jessica and I CANNOT attain our goal by our own effort. "What's the goal?" you ask, simple - cling to Christ in faith and have others take note that we have been with Jesus.

Two, mortality matters because it is precisely what God is not. Psalm 90:1-4 says, "1Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations.2Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. 3You return man to dust and say, "Return, O children of man!" 4For a thousand years in your sight are
but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night."

If we had a God constrained by time as we are - we would not have a God who could comfort us, provide peace, PERFECT wisdom, or even atone for our sins. Its not as though I invite the news which cements Jada's (or for that matter my own) mortality. All I know is that it is YET ANOTHER stream of mercy by which God's character is made manifest to Jess and I.

Goodness has a name and it is "God!"

3 comments:

  1. Hey Doug and Jessica,

    I have been keeping up with your blog and just have to say that you are some of the strongest people I know. Your strength in marriage as well as abundant Faith in God shines! God would not see it any other way, the way you are glorifying him through this time. It has touched me in a way I cannot explain. We are praying for you daily!

    Molly Pflederer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful goal! I am hunbled to be able to be a part of your journey. You are often in my prayers. Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, Jess, Jada ...

    I am a friend of Wendi & Ed. I met them in training in Colorado, and helped them pack up their stuff.

    I am praying for you all. I, too, am walking in faith with cancer. He will carry you all as He is carrying me.

    Many, many blessings.
    Adina.

    ReplyDelete