Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The blessing of Affliction


We approached the pre-operation room with a fair bit of trepidation, who doesn't? But we knew going into that it was going to be a difficult ordeal. "Ok," you say, "its gonna be hard." So, Jessica and I wheel our lovely 5 yr old back to the room and begin to tell her stories. A line of different Dr.s come to see her. You can see it in her eyes and witness her body language. The time is drawing near. Just moments before our daughter goes under the knife to have what later would be known as a "huge" tumor (10 inches x 6 inches) removed she motions for me to come near.

Her tiny little body is covered in blankies and all the comforts we can afford physically while her heart is held up in prayer. As I get right next to her lips - she whispers soft and gently, "Daddy, I don't want to cry." and then she begins to briefly shed a few tears.

Jess and I pray with her, assure her of the Lord's strength in her, and head off to the waiting room. In the next 4.5 hours we worshiped, prayed, cried, read the Word, and kissed doubt, fear and worry goodbye. God's peace enveloped us as we waited to meet with the surgeon.

"Everything went well" was the report - and now we wait for further results of testing (aka, the pathology of the tumor). But the neat part is what follows: Jada woke from surgery and motioned for me to come near again. This time what she whispered warmed my heart further, "I (pant pant pant), LOVE (pant pant), you." Those words made all the tears and all the prayer worth it. But that is not where God desires that it end.

This morning as I sat reading my Bible, and praying while Jada lay asleep and before the onslaught of support (aka - Christian community) came - I had a vision of hope for my daughter (and for that matter, my family).

In Acts 5 the apostles were called into the council and beaten and told not to speak the name of Jesus. I have a vision for my family that says essentially this, "thank you Jesus, that you have counted us worthy of suffering." For it is too easy in times like ours to raise both of hands in anger at God for what appears to be an injustice. But, if we are not careful, having both fists clenched toward the heavens teaches us a one-sided view of suffering and trial. That view, sadly, is all about me (or in this case, Jada). We are encouraged in the Bible to express our anger or frustration with God (clenched fist), but let us not forget to keep the other hand open to receive the blessing from the affliction.

If the Gospel was delivered with great pain to the Lord Jesus (difficult emotionally, and spiritually - not to mention physically) how am I (or Jess, Jada, and Oliver) to expect that God would deliver the truth and depth of the Gospel love he has for me without some level of affliction? The answer: we are not to expect anything less!

In Hebrews 2:10 it says that Christ was made perfect through suffering. You and I are made to resemble Christ MORE as we suffer. Its just not our chosen vehicle.

11 comments:

  1. That is the most powerful thing I've read in a long time. You and your family are truly more like Christ already through this ordeal.

    Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes........you get it. I'm so sorry u have to go through this suffering, but you get how refining our Lord says it is. Who wants it? Not our chose vehicle for sure. Praying for all of you today, and every day. This situation has kept me so close to our Lord in prayer for several days, what a good place to be.

    Dana Ann Stuber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Bro. Love to see your heart and appreciate you. Great to see the Holy Spirit at work in your life and your families. I rejoice with you. Jesus be glorified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug, thanks for the truth of this entry. We are praying that amidst the joy and suffering God is glorified! Thank you for not letting this time of suffering go to waste, but praising Jesus through it. We will continue to pray!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug,
    Thanks for your post-and thank God for your attitude. As we choose how we are going to react to trials, I believe we choose whether to become bitter or better. I definitely have not enjoyed the trials that our family has faced, and yet so many precious gifts have come of them-the knowledge of how the Lord truly does carry us through, the knowledge that this life is truly "a mist" that is not guaranteed to last even one more day-and therefore our loved ones are to be cherished, and a fresh outlook on what is TRULY important. Our walk is deepened, our trust grows, and perhaps we take one step closer to being able to share the Lord's love to those who are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Doug, for those words. Pain and suffering are not things that we would readily choose. We are praying for you in this time of trial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug,
    I follow you as you follow Christ in this. My heart to you and prayers for Jada, you, Jess and the family.
    Much love brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rumbold Family, I'm praying with you and for you. Yesterday, a visiting pastor preached the sermon that you have been living for the last few days. He did an awesome job conveying God's truth. You are modeling it at the next level. We've had a kid in a hospital for something far-far less. I cry as I think of the difficulty of your journey. Love You! Dan Learned

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really encouraging. Cannot imagine what you are going through, but you are magnifying Christ, and we are all praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanking you for bearing your heart to us, and sharing your faith with us. We will continue to pray for your daughter, you, and your family. I pray that if I were ever in your shoes, I would display the same hope and trust in the Lord as you are. Thank you for spreading the Glory of Christ through your suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of excellent reading here, thanks! I had been checking on yahoo when I observed your article, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete