Thursday, February 3, 2011

The balance of blessing

Psalm 42:3 "My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day long, 'Where is your God?'"

It is among the most powerful and poignant metaphors in all the Bible - at least that is this man's opinion. Have you ever been there? You know the place I am talking about. That place where your tears have a ready path not only blazed, but WELL TRAVELED, in which they move speedily down your cheeks and into your mouth. The slightly warm, salty taste doest not even surprise you anymore - in fact, it is part of your regular diet. This is the place the Psalmist is talking about when he speaks of tears and food in the same breath. A place Jessica and I are well acquainted with as of late.

The assurance we receive daily via text, email and phone calls from loved ones concerning the promises of God are staggering. The support of the local church and our family from a physical, emotional, and spiritual angle is also without equal. Why then do I speak of this verse? I know these promises cerebrally, even a few occurrences in my life have driven these truths deeper - but why is it that my tears are my food?

Anyone who looks at the picture of Jada above - hovering over a bucket - must have a justice bone deep down inside that is being tweaked. I could handle this happening to my body, and with relative grace even, say that God is doing something Good. But apply the same circumstances to a child (especially yours) and your justice bone twinges within you at the purposes of God's sovereignty. Sadness does not depict the state of our hearts collectively (Jess and mine that is), anguish is a more fitting term - but what makes this verse so poignant a descriptor for Jess and I is this: our tears are talking. They are telling us, with every new set of challenges, "your God is dead and unable to answer."

Last night Pierce (our newest addition) literally cried and screamed from 8pm till just around 4am. Jess and I did not sleep a wink during that span. Jada woke screaming and needed comfort, and Oliver made his presence known about an hour and a half before normal in the morning. The tears streamed down my face last night, down that familiar canal into the reservoir of my mouth, asking me "Where is your God?" Jess and I prayed, we covered our heads with pillows, we did just about anything we could - hoping that it would end and the dawn would speedily come. Sadly, this was not the case.
I had just a spare minute while laying in bed last night and I turned the Bible application on my phone on, I read Psalm 41-44. When I read through all of Psalm 42 the Spirit began to remind me of the balance of blessing and the HOPE filled perspective provided therein. I began to catalogue all that God has provided since December 30th, 2010 when our trial began. It has been overwhelming and humbling how God has blessed us and I certainly do not want to present a picture of gloom always. There are moments of Joy - though fleeting - and they are what we are hanging on to in the really dark times.

As one reads Psalm 42, though, they are reminded to "Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." There is a tremendous temptation on my part to simply cash in the chips and exclaim - "God, we've sought you and your are not answering in the manner we expected." The fact is, even though our present request is sleep, and much of it - God's goodness is not in question simply because what I want is not happening. His goodness and blessing are manifest in a thousand other ways all around me. What this calls for in me is twofold: the Psalmist later says "...I shall again praise him...", this means that all of whats happening is a colossal equation leading to praise. Secondly, this calls for endurance. Read Romans 5 and one will quickly discover suffering or trials are designed to provoke endurance in us. Endurance (or perseverance) is connected to Hope because its OBJECTIVE IS GOD!

We GET GOD! Not sure if this resonates with you, but for this weary believer it is medicine for my sick and tired soul. Tomorrow Jada and I shove out early for another stay of 5 or so days in the hospital and the administration of chemo. We will do so knowing that even if it is hard and we pray against everything that then happens, we still GET GOD! I pray your rest is in your acquisition of God - not in some unmet expectation you have of Him. I know I have wrestled with that, even in the last couple days.

When I took this picture of Jada she had just vomited. I asked her, "Jada, is God still good?" Vomit still clinging to her chin over the bucket she looks at me and says, "of course dad." Really, you're kidding me! was my thought. I pressed her and she began to recount all the things around us, warm jammies, good dinner that night, heat when it was snowing outside, etc. God continues to use my daughter to encourage (and challenge) both Jess and I. I pray the same for you.

14 comments:

  1. I'm humbled as I read this. Thanks for the reminder of truth. I love you guys. God is increasing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times I felt like Job and still do. Our daughter passed away 4 years ago on the 26th of February. She fought the cancer DSRCT for 16 months, but God chose to take her because he needed her more. I will never understand but I accept it as his will. My only advice is to enjoy every moment because God may need her more than you do....
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speechless...
    We keep holding you up to the throne of the loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not words, just an ache in my heart. I wish I could help out physically somehow rocking a baby, something to give you some rest. I will continue to pray for you, but you are already blessed with an angel in Jada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears...........they are the voice of the human soul. Sometimes they come in large quantities because the soul has much to say. They speak when words are hopelessly inadequate. Our God collects every tear and hears the words that the tongue cannot speak. Praying for perseverance for all of you. And Jada's right......God is good...........all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug and Jess,

    As tears come to my eyes, I pray for you. I wish that I could take some of this pain away from your family and send you into a moment of peace. Be encouraged through your remarkable daughter...she has an invincible spirit! Few have the strength and spiritual commitment that your daughter has. We pray for your sweet daughter multiple times a day. You will make it through this challenge. -Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are praying for your whole family, Doug. I was heartbroken to hear what you are all facing. Thank you for sharing your journey so authentically!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There really are no words . . . I'm not as close to God as I know I should be, and seldom pray, but I will be praying for your family--especially Jada. Your faith, and that of Jada's, is inspiring and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Rumbolds! How has Jada liked her doll, Emily? I'm praying for you guys not only for Jada, also for your young newborn and your sleep.

    Andrea Render

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sit here sharing in your pain as tears pour down my cheeks. The tears represent the hurt and lack of understanding, and yet they also represent the faith that Jada and you have in spite of life's circumstances. That joy, that hope, that love that streams to us from our Abba is the foundation that keeps things together when our physical means are ripped out from beneath us. We love you guys.
    Mr. Ducky

    ReplyDelete
  12. love to all you, we are praying for God to touch your family,to show His love,mercy and favor,and Healing ,Healing for jada,poor baby, my husbands hearts breaks for Jada has he remembers just how sick he was after lung cancer and then chemo, he feels so bad for her as a smll child having to go thru this journey . God surly is at work in her life as your sweet daughter shares from her heart about the promises of God that she is trusting in, cancer and children, a mystery only known to God why they have to go thur it,our job is to trust Him, we are many miles away, but close in heart,may God supply your ever need, sleep would be sooo good for all of you,!!! will keep praying waiting to see the great things God is going to you for all of you much love Pat & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such an incredibly tender post, and so delicious to my soul. It is encouraging to be reminded that His involvement in our lives is all around us, we just don't readily perceive it,especially when our physical bodies are weak and our minds anguished. I pray rest and peace for your whole family. love~Brin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this post. I heard about your family from a Bible study I'm in. I'm praying for you in Raleigh, NC.
    Your post was so timely and God used it to encourage my heart this morning. I am also following the story of a young girl with a brain tumor, and after tears and prayers, God isn't moving the way we all want Him to. My heart felt sick this morning, from frustration and confusion and small faith. But your timely reminder resonated with me and is bringing health back to my heart. We don't deserve good, and every good we do get is grace. I should be thankful God doesn't work in the box I so often want to put Him in. Even if all we get is GOD, and every other prayer is returned to us No, what an incredibly gracious and good God we serve for giving us Himself. Thank you for this word. I am praying for you and your family, that He'll be "enough" through all of this and will give grace upon grace and heal your sweet daughter.
    Keep writing. Your family of faith is encouraged.

    ReplyDelete