Friday, March 4, 2011

The Sun and its Habits

It rose much as it always does... full of brightness, unassuming, and promising. Have you ever noticed that about the sun? I have - even more so these days because of the contrast it represents to my heart. (Jada does a birthday dance)
A brief update on Jada will paint the landscape of emotion that, I am sure, will taint this entire post (I say that because I really don't know for sure what I am going to say when I begin writing). Jada had a ct scan on Tuesday, the results of which were concerning. Thus, a call from the Dr. and a brief meeting yesterday (March 3rd) in which we discovered 2 growths about 2 inches in size each, one on each side of the midline located just below the diaphragm. The Dr. went on to explain the PET scan he ordered for next week (11th); basically they are baffled and do not know what it is - because the 2 growths did not exist on the previous scan (Jan. 11th). So, answer, we don't know. We have no idea and therefore are choosing not to worry. There is peace and comfort for those who trust and wait on the Lord. However, we are a little battle-worn.

Today is Jada's 6th birthday and she was dead-set on having friends over for the big party. Imagine her disappointment, this past Tuesday, when we informed her that her counts were too low. We were overjoyed when the Dr. told us yesterday to come in today for her counts to be checked and possibly still have an impromptu party. We came, we saw, we conquered as it were - and we were on our way back home awaiting the phone call to report her blood counts. Just as Jada's friends arrived in the driveway the phone rang. "The counts are up" was the first thing I heard and jumped for joy. However, we need you back her right away - Jada needs a blood transfusion because of low red counts."

Where does one go from there? I remembered the sun and its stark contrast to the pull of emotions we are experiencing daily. It would seem that I am soon to forget the blessings and kindness of the Lord, which is to waste this bit of suffering God has gifted to us. So, it should come as no surprise then, that the birthday girl is the one doling out the presents in the form of an adjectival chronicle of our Great God!

I Peter 4:1 "...whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin..."

It all started last night. Jess and I were just a little on the frayed end of things and I was putting Jada to bed. We are reading through a book together - just her and I - last night's selection was aimed at the role of suffering and sorrow in the life of the believer as being tremendous tudors. After reading the selection and gorging on the the Word together I asked Jada, "Sweetie do you know anyone who loves the Lord and still has lots of suffering or sadness?" Without a breath Jada responds, "of course daddy, me and Jesus. Except Jesus' suffering was way badder than mine because he took all that sin and died and I am still alive...but you know that because you are reading to me." There is a brief pause with silence, and that term 'brief' could not be used more loosely if one knows' Jada, before that overworked brain caused her lips to utter, "Daddy, would you explain to me how Jesus took ALL THAT sin from forever and gave us goodness?" "Hold up honey, let me see if I have Luther, Owen, or Calvin on speed dial to tackle that one?" We spent the next 20 minutes walking through propitiation, and that was a treat. Ultimately God has a rightful claim to ALL Glory and one of the avenues he uses to achieve this is suffering which which helps us "...cease from sin."

Fast forward about 24 hours and you have our trip to get the the transfusion which occurred this afternoon. Knowing it to be Jada's birthday and her counts previously low I was lamenting yet another visit to clinic. As we get out of the van I expressed my frustration at the timing of it all and asked Jada what she is thinking about. I scooped her up in my arms, she rested her head on my neck while at the same time whispering in my ear. This is what she had to say. "Dad, God is SO GOOD! We are not even going to the hospital for 3 or 5 days like usual - just a few hours and we'll be outta here." That was the medicine I needed (for once). Psalm 16:11 urges us to consider that its God's presence that provides fullness of Joy. Praise the Lord he used my daughter to remind me of the Spirit's dwelling in me and its cause for great rejoicing.

The sun retreats to its hiding spot as the Psalmist says, my spiritual memory is jogged, and the first rays of sunlight the following morning will carry on their wings all that is necessary to get me Godward.

10 comments:

  1. I love you, Jada & Rumbold Family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jada's birthday dance was phenomenal! Made me a little dizzy :D How wonderful that she has so much energy! I will be praying for the mystery spots to vanish and for her counts to stay up. We love you guys so much and wish we were next door. Know that you are daily on our hearts as we hold your family up before the Lord. Hugs and kisses to you and Jess and Jada and Ollie and lil Pierce...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asking the Lord to give you all strength this weekend. Continuing to ask Jesus for healing but grace as you endure this trial. Praying for you all daily, without ceasing.
    Love,
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooooo blessed to have this live Jada angel to get you through while she is the one also going through it. Thanks for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl is amazing and may quiet possibly be an angel here on Earth. I am a teacher and I am amazed with her ability to understand and connect with God's word. My continued prayers to Jada and to her doctors and you for wisdom.

    Melina Ponce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug - Just curious what book you were reading to Jada? We pray for her daily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your suffering is not my devotional but this blog is such a blessing to me. I love that you can be honest and pour out your heart- like the psalmist. I pray you are blessed even more in your understanding and relationship with God. We know this is the best gift - as Jada reminds us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayed for your family very specifically this morning. Praying Jada's bloodwork continues to improve so that blood transfusions are not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched the video of Jada dancing and noticed her precious little feet. Her life, her soul, and those little feet are precious in His sight (and mine).
    Isaiah 52:7
    "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi...I am Jessica Boush's sister in law. My family and I have been keeping you all in our prayers. I just wanted to tell you that I was watching this the other day and my son Ethan (almost 3) watched it too. Since then he will randomly come up to me and say..."Mommy I wanna see the dancing princess." It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about. He loves this video and I loved that he calls her a princess!

    ReplyDelete