Saturday, February 26, 2011

Swallowed up by LIFE!

Most things right now lack any strain of consistency. I used to think that sort of thing kind of defined me. However, I am learning that what I used to be able to handle with relative ease is now the greatest of battles. That being said, I think we should also dispense with the notion that everything that is happening to us is immediately spiritualized and served up to the masses for edification. How I wish this were true - but then God would be dealing more with mannequins and less with mere humans - which of course I am.

So, why begin with the lack of consistency? Glad you took the time to ask, and I pray this little piece will serve to enlarge your view of God and open your eyes to the struggle that some of the sheep who call him "shepherd" have.

4While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit (II Cor. 5:4-5 New Living Translation)

There are not words which I could use to illustrate how our (Jess and I) parenting philosophy and theology has been called into question these past 2 months. Let me be clear with my terms so that there be no ambiguity regarding what I intend to be the outcome. Philosophy is what Jess and I believe about how parenting is to be carried out while theology addresses what (or rather WHO) is to be the center of that effort. Logically then, what one believes about parenting (theology) will dictate how (philosophy) they carry it out. One can apply any number of methods or techniques but ultimately if the view of parenting is not rightly informed theologically (or more accurately theocentrically) it will only lead to further frustration and sin.

I refuse to lie: parenting all of our children has had its unique challenges and its enough to stretch you to the point of snapping. Jada can use her condition to manipulate, Oliver struggles with my absence every 3rd week, and Pierce is an infant (which is to call him Superman's lost cousin, "Captain Unpredictability"). "Quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." To which I say, "no, no and no." This would be my assessment of my parenting, husbanding, etc during this trial. Thank God for his unmerited favor.

Jess and I will be the first in the "I'll admit to that" line regarding the general love and care of God toward his children. There have been many moments where we have collectively struggled to believe that God is GOOD even if things don't let up for a while. Our new lives and new schedule have wreaked havoc on our usual routine and that alone is cause for concern - at least to us. I know there will likely be many who read this who will have circumstances MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than our own. I am not minimizing your trial - I am simply speaking out of ours. At each turn of doubt we have had a few common elements occur: someone reminds us of Christ (his affliction/suffering/perfect obedience), there are other believers (family/friends/church family) who have come alongside and encouraged us in VERY TANGIBLE ways, and Jess and I both have had some very consistent times of confession and repentance before God.

Do I long for what the above verses talk about...yes I want to be "done" with this and have all the benefits it affords without the searing pain it so often dishes out. However, I will not presume upon the Lord a "better" time for him to finish this work in us. Mine is not the timetable, mine is faith. "He who began a good work, will carry it on to completion." So, it is a tremendous relief when God, in his Mercy provides a good laugh.

We have a rule in our house that the kids are not supposed to touch DVDs (mainly Oliver - because his meat-hook-like hands are about as delicate as they are tiny: resulting in a little breakage from time to time). Today Ollie had ahold of a DVD. I quickly grabbed it and sent him to his room to await his fate. I come in with the rod and he scrunches up his face and says, "I not in trouble dad...I not in trouble." "Really," I respond with a little tinge of doubt in my obvious tone. "Would you mind telling me how you are not in trouble?" "Because...(as he looks around his room) I play basketball." Huge cheesy smile with one hand on his hip seeing if I will cave. It would seem that Ollie's little addiction is now his vehicle - good thing Jess and I are trained by the Spirit in discernment : )

As you go about your day, really try to grasp the concept that your old mortality is to be SWALLOWED UP by Life and that LIFE IS JESUS!!! "...we rejoice in hope of the Glory of God!" God's GLORY is most recognizable in Jesus (Heb. 1:3).

Click the comment button and share how Christ has encouraged you today despite what you may be facing.

2 comments:

  1. Doug and Jessica,
    It has been awhile since we last posted but we want you to know that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers every day. Your blogs have encouraged us and we thank you. Most importantly, we thank God for using you to remind us that through trials and challenges you are facing(and even ourselves in our lives)that HE is the Mighty Physician and Healer. We just need to remember it is NOT OUR TIME...GOD'S TIME. May God bless and keep all of you in His care. We love you.
    Doug and Angie (D-n-A)Shull

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug and Jess,
    I have struggled to know what Lu and I can do for you and Jess besides pray for you... you both encourage me and LuAnne everyday... We have cannot fathom what you and Jess have been going through but I myself have been searching for meaning lately as to happenings in our lives. You and Jess' continual commitment to Christ, even in the toughest hours, like that of Job, is a blessing to me and LuAnne as well as I am sure the rest of our church body.

    You spoke today of the summer youth trip to chicago with the ireland group to work with the Hispanic community. Well for some unknown reason since this summer, I have been working on my spanish and am currently enrolled in Spanish 110 at ICC two nights a week. Long term i told myself it was for me and me and me... to lay back in retirement and enjoy an island lifestyle, but LuAnne has told me from the very beginning there has to be a reason for why I had this drive to do this... besides for my own gratification... but i could only look so far past my own nose lately until about a month ago... then God started working in me and thus started to change my heart and maybe there might be a mexican mission out there that might need LuAnne and I when we retire or sometime... still would like to see the beach too... but that is my want...

    so the short of this, is thanks for the daily encouragement in the midst of your trials, but know there is good that is coming from it... also that I and LuAnne would like to find out how we can help out with the youth trip this summer involving the hispanic community.

    Thanks so much for being a part of our church..and God's family. Keith

    ReplyDelete