Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home...closer than you think






The night could not even be remotely synonymous with the term rest, but that is just fine with us. I awoke at the hospital (now day 7) after having slept a total of about 2 or so hours. The Dr. had a constant fluid drip going for Jada to test her only remaining kidney - I am exhausted but can exclaim with confidence that it works well.
When you cannot go home, there are a few things that the LORD provides that let one understand that Home can easily come to them. It has been my habit now for a little while to simply wait until Jada falls asleep, post some pictures on facebook, journal, pray and read. Last night was no exception.
My door had a knock and what I found outside reduced me (and later Jessica) to tears. Graciously, my brother Ed and his daughter Jaylin had flown home from Slovakia. Jada woke at just the right time and upon seeing her cousin (whom she has not seen for a year) she blinked hard twice and a faint smile followed. AMAZING! God cannot put more of a personal touch on his blessing and goodness to us, right?
This morning we awoke to some good news (rather Jada awoke to some good news). "You can have some jello." After having surgery she has basically fasted since Sunday at midnight. She ate like I have seldom seen and my heart leapt with joy.
The day drug on and though Jada would get out of her bed for long stints and go for walks, she complains of significant abdominal pain and cries with each step - it seems healing (both physical and spiritual) is not without its pain.
However strong morphine was, the love of God and the bond of family is stronger. For tonight as the evening drew to a close my sister Jen (the one with a million children who lives in Colorado and is married to fireman Jon) walks in with a couple of her children (Kierra and Jedidiah). Again, I stand in awe of how God has stamped his personal touch on all of these blessings and our hearts continue to be encouraged despite the difficulty of this affliction - and what will likely be a treacherous road ahead.
Romans 6:13 says, "13Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness." I encourage you to look at that part, "...have been brought from death to life..." When someone ransoms their life for yours you would do ANYTHING for them. The ransom Christ paid for us demands UTTER generosity and humility on our parts, to do less is to tread light and arrogantly on the gift of God.
The offering of ourselves, especially our presence relationally, reflects our heart for the master. In short, Jess and I have some really godly family ALL AROUND us.

6 comments:

  1. Doug & Jess, we rejoice with you at the gift of family that was far, coming near. Upon reading this myself, I told the family at breakfast & everyone was smiling, imagining the joy in that room as you & Jada were surprised with Ed & Jaylin.
    {love from the Hillrichs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing!!! Priase God for family and the power they bring us in difficult times. I hope you don't mind but I printed picture of Jada (from fb) and placed it on our fridge. Every time I walk by it (which is about a million times an hour) I pray for her, you and Jessica. I know we have not been in touch for many years, but as a friend, my heart aches for both of you. And yet it leaps with JOY knowing that you know to lean on our Savior. AND you will be happy to know that "JADA" is the first name (besides family) that Daylen will say as clear as a bell! :) Continued prayers and many hugs to you and the family!!! -wiers-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families are truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug - I am so sorry you for the hurt that you are experiencing right now, but I am PRAISING God at your faith and your obvious love for the Lord. With little girls of my own - around Jada's age - I can't begin to imagine what you are going through, but I am thankful that you have such an incredible family - one that has ALWAYS been a witness to the community around you!! I am praying for Jada, you, your wife, and your extended family. I praying that "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
    Heather (Leitch) Swinigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It brought me to tears when I read that Ed & daughter came to see you all -- and then Jenifer! The Lord is good!
    We love you guys and continue to pray for you all.
    Connie & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. It brought me to tears when I read that Ed and daughter came to be with you all -- and then Jenifer!
    God is good!
    We love you guys and continue to pray for you.
    Love, Connie & Tom

    ReplyDelete