Thursday, February 10, 2011

Look upon Jesus, one acquainted with suffering

We started the car, packed the bags, said our goodbyes and started down the road. These trips to St. Jude clinic in Peoria are becoming a bit ominous for my liking. No one is guaranteed a good experience at clinic and there stands an eerie reminder upon entrance weekly. On occasion there are weeping 2 yr olds who cannot stand treatment and struggle mightily. There are teenagers who are mild and complacently sitting, waiting for their number to be called. Finally, there are parents, sullen and quiet: fatigued from the journey we are all on.

Jada and I usually do not make it to the Morton exit (7 min down the highway) before she says, "Dad, I would like you to turn on and TURN UP Kari Jobe please." Now, if you are not aware, Kari Jobe is the consistent bright spot in Jada's trial. She is a Christian artist from Texas who has what Jada calls, "Jesus music - that makes me think about Jesus." So, this is how we choose to start our drive to the clinic each week. I never make it more than 15 minutes without crying. Today was no exception. Miss Jobe's song, "Healer" comes on and in the backseat is Jada - laying her head on the armrest staring blankly ahead dangling her hand up...her ever so slight hint that she desires to hold my hand. I reach around to the backseat and grasp her hand while we move down the highway, my eyes filling with tears as we approach clinic. My mind is full of beautiful memories we have made this past week with all the extra time we have had at home. How wonderful the time has been. I am reminded of one particular night...

Jada has an incision from her sternum to just above her bladder where the tumor was removed. She has had, since the surgery, steri strips (small bandage-like stripes) on her stomach that have needed to come off - but convincing a 5 year old to take off 27 bandaids in one sitting is quite like asking an elephant to tip toe, unlikely. However, last night she was in rare form and begged for them to be removed. After her bath, and three times a week I have to do a dressing change (where I change her entire bandage and clean her line site {the tube that comes out of her chest for chemo}). As we began taking off one strip at a time Jada winced with the predictable pain. Finally, as the last one came off she looked at her belly button for the first time since January 3rd.

The incision runs up to her belly button, then goes around it and below her belly button an inch or so. She glances at it and says, "Dad, it was so kind of the Doctors not to cut my belly button in half, and to put me asleep when the did the surgery because I don't think I could handle seeing me be cut wide open." "Do you think it hurt honey?" I said. She quips very quickly, "well, yes of course dad." I asked, "Jada, what do you think it was like for Jesus?" She looks into space and says, "it must have hurt worser than a poke (that would be a shot with a needle), and it really makes me very thankful that he did it to clean away sin. And dad, did you know, Jesus was awake until he died? I was in surgery when I slept - so I don't remember and I did not feel it because the Dr. gave me owie medicine. So, Jesus Really obeyed his daddy and loves us VERY much."

How does one add to perfect obedience, deep love, and unconditional forgiveness? The gospel was delivered at great cost and through deep pain - - - can I hope to escape it if the truth of the Gospel is to be riveted into the depths of my heart? Trials and suffering are Major, Necessary and Useful tools in God's toolbox of sanctification. Paul, in speaking to the church at Thessalonica, says of trials, "You know quite well that we were destined for them. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know. For this reason, when I could stand it not longer, I sent to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless." (I Thess. 3:3-5).

We are learning daily that our faith is being challenged in ways we could not fabricate and in ways we never wish to repeat, but nonetheless we are being shaped for the Glory of God.

So, clinic finished up this morning with the pale news of Jada's blood counts (her over all ANC count which allows chemo to continue) being too low and our admission to the hospital being delayed yet another 3 days. Are we frustrated, yes. Are we weary of the commute to and fro with no progress to show, yes. Are we sorrowful yet rejoicing? YES - With Faith we are.

by the way, the picture was taken by simply charming photography in Tremont, IL on January 17th - prior to hair loss.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for ministering to my soul today. Love and prayers as always. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it when everything in life is going soooo good ...we all forget to remember what is important or forget to be thankful for the little things....but when life hits you hard ...your story becomes a true inspiration for all....
    ....why is it that knowing this ....we don't make the most of everyday.....
    I just want to say thank you to your family and several others families in tremont for showing everyone what a true blessing everyday is...even in the hardest moments.....Your family is a true inspiration....and had helped remind me daily...what is important and what isn't ....you continue to inspire and make everyone feel better......when people should be doing that for you....anyway...thanks for sharing and letting all of our family be so blessed by your story.....please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help....looking forward to the benefit....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure how I stumbled upon your blog. I think maybe it was through the Gospel coalition? I'm so sorry. My youngest is a 6 yr old girl and her and I have made it our mission to pray for Jada. I'm sorry but thank you for your transparency. I just prayed for you, Jess and Jada. May God give you grace for your day, strength and continued mercy.
    Because of Him,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jada and family,

    We just want you to the know that the high school class from the Richland AC church is following your blog and praying for you weekly. You have encouraged us and we hope our prayers will be an encouragement to your family.

    Ashley, Ryan, Scott, Brianna, Stephen and Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also stumbled on your blog through the Gospel coalition. I also have a five year old going through chemo, and totally undertand what you are going through. Just want to encourage you that the first two or three months are the toughest, but it does get better!!! They seem to hit hard with the chemo at first, but when she reaches the consolidation stage, it will even out and she will be feeling much better. So be encouraged!!! Thank you for writing. I definitely will be praying for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jada,
    Karis, Caleb, Andrew and I prayed for you this morning.
    The Schindel Six in Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing to pray for you and your family. Your blog entries are very convicting. I cannot imagine the emotional toll that your family is enduring, but thanks be to God that He gives us the victory through Jesus Christ. Jada sounds like a simply amazing child with wisdom and honesty that is rare from one so young. The Lord has blessed you so much through her. After reading the above comment, I am convicted to get my husband's high school Sunday school class to pray for you also. Lord willing, we will surround you each day with intercessory prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorrowful yet rejoicing. What good words.

    ReplyDelete