Friday, January 30, 2009

The Foremost - Part 1

Ted Bundy was an unbelievable man. During the 1970s he went on a rampage murdering and raping over 30 women - though the actual figure is unknown. He was apparently a normal, non-ambitious male whose life was just under the radar, never really being noticed by anyone. Over a period of 10 years or so he raped and murdered a number of women, no one really ever knowing what "snapped" inside him. Just the thought of that type of desensitization boggles the mind.
I am forced to think, even as I read though his biographical information, how vile and awful a man he must have been. I cannot even begin to see myself getting anywhere near that insane. The more I think about his crimes the more I think of the distance between myself and him - he's a killer, I am a youth pastor. He was a rapist, I am a husband and father. The distance between him and I seems too far to traverse - but is it really?
In 1st Timothy 1:15&16 the apostle Paul calls himself, "the foremost" or worst of sinners. Really? The guy who wrote literally 75% of the New Testament is worse than me? hmmm.
What do you make of such a bold and stiff claim? Certainly I am better off than Bundy, or any other murderer or rapist out there, right?
Jot down your thoughts by clicking on the comment key and tell me what you think...part 2 to follow shortly - - -

4 comments:

  1. Hi Doug-
    Awhile back I ran across this incredibly interesting discussion on James McDonald's blog:
    http://blog.harvestbiblefellowship.org/

    (It's the discussion and video on the January 3rd, 2009 entry)

    Like James says, it is because I only know a fractional amt of anyone else's sin, but are much more acutely aware of all my sinful actions or attitudes -the things I personally do or wrestle with every day -that qualifys me as the worst sinner I know; and therefore makes me all the more aware of how much I need the Lord's grace, mercy and forgiveness. This is an amazing and humbling perspective I hadn't totally considered before!
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    thanks so much for taking the time to stop by. I agree - essentially, viewing myself as a the worst simply implies that I have the best Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our human nature, left to ourselves,we are capable of every possible sin. All Bundy did at first was to let his mind go places it shouldn't have been. Till he finally acted out those thoughts.
    I guess that is when I really realize my total depravity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Lady on the Journey:
    I know. Job was a wise man when he said that he would put no unclean thing before his eyes...the eye gate can be devastating.

    ReplyDelete