Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Man

Some time ago, about three months to be exact, my father returned home from a short trip to South Dakota. This picture shows of his conquest. Now to appreciate him you must understand, my dad - in my humble opinion - is the man. I have never known someone to so selflessly give and train me in a 1 John 2:6 manner - to walk as Jesus walked.

When I saw this picture I was stunned, there is a man kneeling behind a bison...a stinking bison!!! I mean its huge and the benefits of the kill I enjoyed last week while I ate a burger. As I looked closer at the picture and my father I began to ask myself some questions:
1. What makes a man a "man?" 2. Is there a point in a man's journey which he ponies up and decides to be a leader or is it just conferred upon him when he gets married, or becomes a father or whatever? 3. What's it take to STAY a man? 4. Am I a man?...of GOD - like my dad.

3 comments:

  1. I would suggest that anyone responding to Doug's questions about masculinity search 1 Kings 2:2-9 very carefully FIRST.

    When can I eat some buffalo?

    THANKS for honoring your father Doug... love it and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... your picture to the left of your blog... you look very lonely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Bill. its easy to honor my father when he has been and continues to be such a wonderful example.
    as to your second comment: I was lonely, Jake and Nate were to embarrassed to pose on toilets in a church under construction - me, I saw no issues at all with it.

    ReplyDelete