Thursday, December 14, 2006

Watching Life


How is it done? You know, how does one become so influential it is almost nauseating to be in the same room? Last night a group of friends and I had the unspeakable privilege of pouring out blessing on a man, Dwayne, who has blessed so many. Let me set the stage.

When I was 15 years old I returned from a short term mission trip to Mexico a changed man. It was a short time later I decided to give a public confession of faith through baptism. Dwayne was right there encouraging me, and holding me accountable for the decision I made.

I will never forget the day of that baptism: I was nervous, my heart thumping out a rhythm in my chest that was almost palpable among the congregation. Dwayne asked the questions and I responded with the answers I had been waiting to shout from the rooftops - YES, YES and a thousand times YES!!! What I was saying in effect was this, "Lord, you have provided your servant Dwayne at a critical point in my life and his life is so appealing to me that I want to follow in his serving footsteps." I came out of the water and shook my head to get the water out of my ear...soaking Dwayne and causing an awkward moment of laughter in the service - Dwayne didn't care that I just ruined his shirt, he simply embraced me and told me he loved me.

So, I ask again, how does someone become so influential? Only this time I think I may have talked myself toward an answer. You love. You love like Christ loved. In Luke 15 there are a couple of parables concerning lost things; a sheep, a coin, and a son. The undeniable link to all three stories: each item mattered so much to the owner that unrelenting searches and amazing celebrations followed.

Dwayne loved me right into my current position...that of youth pastor. As I drove home last night my eyes still wet with tears and my mind still trying to chase away the memory of Dwayne's failing health, I praised the Lord. The Lord has searched and found me - and there was much rejoicing in heaven when I was found. My mind fails miserably when trying to construct the shin dig awaiting Dwayne. I imagine it to be a homecoming he has spoken of so many times from the pulpit in our church. Influencing others through a life of love well lived - that is Dwayne's story and my insatiable passion.

2 comments:

  1. May you and I become a Dwayne for the building of God's kingdom... and God's glory! Thanks for honoring Dwayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Bill...that is my goal. with God's power and by His grace may I have eternal eyes.

    ReplyDelete