Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What's with faith anyway


Have you sat and stared into space lately wondering what's missing in life? I mean seriously, the Bible says we have every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms (Eph. 1:3). Why doesn't my life feel like it?

I think of when I was younger...much younger. I used to tie a cape (bath towel for the layperson) around my neck and throw myself screaming from the edge of our second story barn window. At the same time my faith in God's ability to catch me was undaunted. This was certainly not the case with mom. She, unlike me, was not impressed. I sensed this in the tone and words of her question, "what in the WORLD do you think you are doing?!!!" I simply fluffed my cape, looked her square in the eye and said, "mom, it's okay, I pray before I jump."

Hmmm. Maybe there is something to this whole childlike faith thing. In Matthew 18 we are told to welcome children into the kingdom and by so doing we invoke and therefore welcome Jesus Christ as well. Welcoming Jesus Christ includes His blessing, His rebuke, His people etc... the list goes on.

So, do I welcome someone smaller in the faith than I? Is there such a thing as someone 'smaller in the faith?' God help us when we think we have it all figured out...it is the absolute non-pretentious faith a child exercises which pleases the heart of God. And we are told to find what pleases God.

3 comments:

  1. Boy.. just when you think all the blogs are over comes a brand new blog from a small town youth pastor.... I think it's a dumb idea :P
    Actually I'm glad that you're blogging now >>>MR.<<< Rumbold and I look forward to seeing what you have to say.
    God bless!
    Hok

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks hok...your comments, even the negative ones are welcome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course they weren't negative.. just in jest. I'm just wondering where everyone else is at... these posts could become an excellent discussion forum :P
    I agree with what you had to say... an excellent point. One thing that I thought about... A childlike faith isn't constantly looking over it's shoulder to see what everyone else does... Maybe we need to jump off a few more roofs with the towel of faith (newest piece of spiritual armor :P) wrapped around our necks as Christians. Anyways, just wanted to start the theological ball rolling....

    ReplyDelete