Saturday, January 6, 2007

Ready, Get Set, ... REST


To be sure there are many things my daughter has taught me over her short life of nearly two years. However, the most recent one continues to plague my spiritual mind, in a good way.

She had just risen from a nap when I went to her room to get her. As I picked her up out of the crib- she rested her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around my neck. Slightly moved and wanting to drink in the moment, I cradled her close. She kept pointing toward the light switch on the wall. I carried her over to it and she promptly shut it off. Then she asked, "down peeease" (translation: down please). I put her down, she closed the door, picked up her blanket, grabbed my hand and had us lie down on the floor. Anyone who knows my daughter knows that what happened next is a MONUMENTAL task for her: she laid down next to me (for about 10 minutes)- her face literally inches from mine. With one thumb in her mouth and the free hand rubbing the side of my face she kept chanting this phrase, "...daddy pretty, daddy pretty."


Sure, as a dad it is easy to just slow things down for a moment like that with your daughter - for they are few. The reason I continue to catch myself smiling is simply the lesson she taught me in 10 minutes which I have spent my life to this point trying to explain: Jesus just wants us to rest.

I get so burdened with all that needs doing. I am weary and heavy of heart. For that moment, however, Jada (my daughter) just wanted to rest in my arms. She wanted to know that nothing else could crowd her out of her daddy's embrace. How I long for that with my Savior...

Would that all could experience a moment of Jada crawling up into their arms to demonstrate their need for the same with Christ Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. Yea, I think that you had a really good point (and glad to see you blogging again :P). Sometimes it feels as though I replace my relationship with my savior with the 'action' of reading my Bible or helping someone etc... It's nice to have a reminder of what's important, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks J, I write these things from the bottom of my heart as I experience them. I can only hope they point people to a greater and more authentic self examination in the light of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. doug that is a really cute story! It is so true that we get so busy trying to do what "God wants" that we forget what God really wants us to do; to grow closer to Him and take rest and shelter in His arms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story and the point... RICH.

    ReplyDelete