Thursday, April 28, 2011

Please don't take it away...


The freshness of day has dawned. The dew is still lightly wetting the ground which needs no saturation after the rains. The sun shines. Birds chirp. Bunnies hop across my yard searching for their next morsel. These and a thousand other gifts have already been "unwrapped" today.

But their lurks on the horizon, if honesty and transparency are actually in practice, something concerning. Haunting, perhaps.

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" (Rom. 8:18). "That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead" (Phil. 3:10-11).

No one wakes up in the morning and decides to get out of bed because a cold shower and a worthless breakfast awaits. Sure, there is duty in waking, but there is also delight. I know of no one who takes the sound the alarm clock makes (you know the sound, the one that can take you from a peaceful sleep to a racing heart in a matter of seconds) and creates a playlist on their iPod from it just to enjoy. Beds are warm, pillows are soft, covers are gentle and comforting. We set it up that way. We like comfort. Usually, it drives a great portion of our decisions. Not in a "path-of-least-resistance" way but in a "how-can-I-minimize-hardship" way. The crazy thing with comfort is that it provides a blanket of security... or so we think.

The concern that lurks on the horizon for me is that comfort would return. I know what you may be thinking, "Doug, comfort is nice - cushy couch, warm vacations, a nicely grilled burger, a car with no mechanical problems, and health...most of all health - would that not be nice? Is that not what you desire right now?" This is where it gets complicated. You see, the answer is yes and no. Kind of. Let me explain.

Yes, I want this to be over - I want normal. Yes, I desire something that is not constant. Yes, I would love to look at my daughter with hair and have friends over, and not go to clinic and a million other things we used to have.

HOWEVER

Normal is not what has caused us to love Jesus deeply. Comfy couches, well maintained cars, juicy burgers, and health are not the ingredients for perseverance. Predictable and visible are not what comprises HOPE and FAITH. So, while I desire this to be over and have a return to life as we once knew it - with a far greater degree of purpose and intent I don't want it over. I look on the horizon and I see that the removal of trial and suffering brings with it the potential for comfort and that scares me. I want to, as Paul says, "know you in your suffering." He does not say, "I want to know you when you feet were propped up and people served you grapes on a platter in the shade of willow tree."

Maybe you too echo with me this concern: "Lord, don't remove affliction simply because it is hard, give me a reprieve that I might catch my breath before I go deeper into knowing YOU!"

6 comments:

  1. Incredible faith, Doug. You and your family are inspiring. I don't think I would or could feel the same way. It's both easier and more difficult to wallow in self-pity. But it accomplishes nothing & what makes it difficult is to get out of that mode.
    I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this, yet it seems that God is being glorified & you are growing deeper in your relationship & passion for our Lord. So, therefore, I am not sorry also.
    Thank you for using this time to share your journey & your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement to my heart in my own hardships with my son. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please know that all you write is very annointed and encouraging as well as changing lives as you remind them to hang on to Jesus! My prayers are with Jada and all her family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe you too echo with me this concern: "Lord, don't remove affliction simply because it is hard, give me a reprieve that I might catch my breath before I go deeper into knowing YOU!""

    You have provided the mysterious conclusion to my own prayer. This is the balance I have been looking for -- reprieve that I might catch my breath; I need more affliction and discipline, but God knows how much I need a gentle pause before the story of gripping discipleship goes on.

    Praise God for the peace He gives us in circumstances so full of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be blessed beyond understanding!

    ReplyDelete