Friday, May 1, 2020

Loving Difficult People in Difficult Places *Bonus Part 5

Read Romans 8:1-11 and Jonah 4

I've always loved the Bible as much for what God says in it as well as what he doesn't say. Today we'll explore a possibility of Jonah's experience that I am certain a good many of you will be able to relate to. Examples abound that pique the interest and stir the heart for what God could be up to behind the scenes when certain things are left unsaid. This causes me to be expectant. I think thats a good place to be as a follower of Jesus; expectant that our life-invading Savior will tear back the fabric between heaven and earth and step in to our reality (hint: there's not really a fabric separating us from Him, we are the one's who feel distant). 

Doubter. Ok, I will grant you that. Let me share one simple text that speaks to what is left unsaid and how it makes me expectant. In John 18:15-18 we catch up with an impassioned, but conflicted Peter. He finds himself outside the place where Jesus is being illegally detained and questioned. In verse 18 a seemingly useless detail is included. A "charcoal fire" was made and people (including Peter) were gathered around warming themselves. That detail is shared after the critical information is already divulged, Peter had denied Jesus Christ! Fast forward a few days. Jesus has been crucified, raised back to life and appeared to the disciples. Their lives are getting back in to a rhythm as they are fishing. A faint figure can be seen on the shore. As their boat approaches they notice a "charcoal fire" with fish being grilled for their morning breakfast (John 21:9-19). Peter, within minutes of finishing breakfast made from a charcoal fire, is restored by Jesus. One restoration for every denial; three times. Our Lord is complete is He not? Notice that John (the author) included charcoal in both accounts of Peter's denial and restoration.

Here's what Scripture doesn't say. It does not say, "Peter, wrecked internally and longing for the Savior's touch, is weary of his own shame and cannot come in to the presence of Jesus. But then he saw the charcoal fire..." It doesn't say this. Perhaps it is because it isn't necessary. However, have you considered the weight of the charcoal fire and its being mentioned twice in insignificant ways? I think the author is giving us some space to consider: "God meets us in our shame and shows us mercy when what we deserve is judgment."

Why focus so much on this?

Think of Jonah after God finishes the last verse of Jonah 4:1 "And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also much cattle?" Self-righteous indignation towards others can easily and quickly turn on oneself.

This, friends, is a tool of the Enemy. It is called condemnation. You see, we all look at Jonah (or another self-righteous person) and always see someone else. So its easy to condemn or dismiss or grow indignant. We say, "That prideful wretch, don't they know they are poor, pitiable, blind and naked; weak in the truest sense and needing the mercy of God?" And we cease to love them HOW they need to be loved and pick up a stone to do away with them instead of showing patience.

On the other end of that spectrum is a pride so veiled that the church has essentially ushered it into the very limelight and mistakingly called it virtue. I am talking of the person who simply cannot be kind to themselves. They are a failure and a bag of dirt no matter how you slice it.

I don't recall Jesus dying for a bag of dirt. He had a little art project in the dirt (see John 8) while restoring worth and dignity to a woman who had lost it all. I imagine Jonah was in need of that sort of touch. Perhaps you are in need of that sort of touch from our loving and merciful Lord. I am not saying that all in this boat are pride-filled... I am just saying pride in the truest sense looks inward.

Listen, if you are your own greatest enemy - how's that play out over time? How's that working for you? Does every unmitigated failure of yours somehow make the news banner over your heart and have you believing that God has wasted His time on you? Is the most difficult person to love in your life, You?

Here's how I want to encourage you today... God made you in HIS image. He has entrusted to you the work of bearing witness to His creative and amazing work (Ephesians 2:8-10). It is His blood (on the cross) and Your testimony (of what He did to save and shape you) that causes you to overcome. Now, slowly, methodically, repetitively; read Romans 8:1-11 and ask the following questions:  

  1.  If fear's focus is failure; what is FAITH'S focus? 
  2. How do I count myself an enemy? 
  3. When I fail or struggle with condemnation I am forgetting that "no condemnation" from Him is a standing offer which means that He never tires or grows disgusted of me. Where am I disgusted with myself and my sin? What might be a first step back toward God? What is the "charcoal fire" God is using to show me that he will meet me in my shame, and self-disgust to take me out of it by His hand? 
  4. After reading Romans 8:1-11 multiple times... what would tomorrow look like (not the rest of your life, just one day) if I believed and lived as though it were true? 
  5. I may be difficult to love but that is a distinction I MAKE, not Jesus, for He loves EVERYONE. (Say that a few times in your heart). Romans 5:8 

No comments:

Post a Comment