Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's worth imitating?

Just a night or two ago I had asked my daughter (Jada - 5yrs) to prepare for bedtime. I was beginning to get a little frustrated with her for not being instantaneously obedient (as nearly every 5yr old is, right?) and when I rounded the corner to show my urgency to her, this is what awaited me. It evoked a thought in me which shall take a moment to unravel, but bear with me as there is a great lesson in it for all us.

First, an explanation of the picture - these are polly pockets, a miniature doll which one can dress up and play with for hours: currently this would be my daughter's vice. What, you may ask do these toys have to do with anything? I am glad you asked, they have everything to do with anything.

Paul, an apostle of the Lord Jesus, writes to a church who is struggling to know their identity or who to follow. He encourages them in this way: "...but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate" (2 Thess. 3:9). So, shortly and simply put - discipleship must be imitation. Paul tells the church, "hey look, I have not got it perfect, but imitate me and that will lead you to Jesus."

These polly pockets are imitating something. Jessica (my wife) often works out and Jada imitates her, putting on work out clothes and doing push ups etc. The other night she placed these dolls on the floor, in formation so that they could do push ups with mom.
I encourage you, if you are a parent, lean in to those moments where your child is imitating you. It may just lead them to Jesus.

I invite your comments, share a story or let everyone know what God has been teaching you on this idea of disciplemaking in the home.



2 comments:

  1. Now that's disciplemaking at its finest... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been learning from someone you might know...Jesus :)

    ReplyDelete