Monday, February 26, 2007

Are you Surprised?

Yesterday morning my wife and I sat in our bedroom with our daughter climbing all over the place. She would hide under her "bankee" (translation: blanket) and thought that we were worlds away. Jess (wife) would lunge at Jada (daughter) when she would pull the blanket away from her face and Jada would make all kinds of faces. This picture represents a thought that has been plaguing me for a some time now: just as Jada was aghast when Jess would pull the blanket away and lunge at her...for the 10th time in a row, most Christians act surprised when they hear about the sin of someone they know.
Why this bothers me is something I have been thinking about for a while. I certainly do not want to reveal an ugly area of my life to an accountability partner who is going to make the same face as Jada in the picture. To me, it seems as though that type of response indicates a "tell me all the juicy details so I can pray for you" mentality.
As I look closer at the life of Christ I realize one thing, He did not toss someones service because of their sin. Peter chose to deny Christ 3 times, Judas was paid to betray Christ, Thomas doubted - and the list goes on. These were His "right-hand" men and He knew they would do these things, yet He chose to use them regardless.
What's the moral of the story Doug...cute picture - decent content, but what is the take away? The take away is this: never be surprised at what Satan can do in a person's life BUT we must also stop at nothing to restore and reconcile those who would desire it. II Cor. 5 talks about how each fully devoted follower of Christ has been given the task of reconciling all to Christ. That means even the ones who have an ugly sin by culture's standards...that might even mean you or me - for we are are ugly without the grace of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment