Monday, August 1, 2011

A Promise Made A Promise Kept

I took out my phone and snapped a picture of the last bag of chemo as it arrived in the room. Not really the emotional response I was figuring on. However, the inner elation was unreal. It's almost as if my mind had to convince my heart that this was a big deal.
LAST BAG OF CHEMO

Well, it wasn't long until my heart realized its bluff had been called and it put all its cards on the table. That moment came during the post hydration phase - after chemo is infused Jada must receive 2 hours of IV fluids to flush her only remaining kidney. Chemo started around 2:00pm - infused for 1/2 hour and then Jada had post hydration. 

Jada, the whole day, was blissfully unaware of the approaching magnitude. That is until about 15 or so minutes were showing on the screen of her IV unit. She began to get a little slap happy and bouncing around. 

At exactly 11 minutes remaining SHE GOT IT! 

My heart was reminded of the valleys, which on account of their depths had kept hidden the certain hope awaiting us. Jada too was reminded and in what I can only describe as a surreal moment her eyes locked with mine . . . and they told a story. A story of height, depth, length, breadth, and width of a Father's love - your love oh LORD! 

At exactly 11 minutes remaining Jada locked eyes with me, climbed up onto my lap, and her head just caved into my chest. I read all of Psalm 136 as a prayer of thanksgiving. Then, for the remaining ten minutes or so I rocked her in my arms and we both just cried. That same familiar phrase chanted SO MANY times throughout this began again, like waves on a beach - slow, methodic, inviting and overall just therapeutic - "Jesus is our strength" flowed off my tongue. 
Jada's last to-do list
You, Father, have kept your promise. You are near to the broken hearted, the humble, and the afflicted. Thank you. There is still a lengthy journey ahead but with you a promise made is a promise kept. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Doug! Praise God who is our Rock and Sustainer. I pray for Jada, you and your entire family as you are being formed and transformed in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God with you, praying for your future and your hope.

    Garry & Joy Geer & family
    and the church family at Calvary Baptist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God! We have been praying for your family daily through this journey. We will continue to praise God and pray for strength for each new day that God brings. What an AWESOME God we serve!

    ReplyDelete