Friday, April 1, 2011

The sum of all fears... relieved!


Everyone has fears. Some, at times, can seem insurmountable. Others are easily overcome by just taking a step, opening your eyes, closing your eyes, a brief conversation with a friend or confidant, prayer, the memory of a verse, or one of many other ways. The fears that I have had to face in hand to hand combat recently have been relieved. Would you like to know how?

Jess and I have long been the beneficiaries of the love and care flowing from Northfield (my place of employment and family of faith). This trend shows no signs of slowing and in ALL WAYS has exceeded what we ever thought possible. Here is a sampling of some of the ways they have fleshed out the Gospel tangibly for us: they have brought meals, provided childcare, done laundry, sent us money, cleaned our house, picked up groceries, texted us verses, sent us emails, sent us cards, dropped by for brief visits of encouragement, PRAYED, took over my ministry responsibilities without the least bit of complaining, and countless other ways. Oh, and they also have allowed me to stay with my family - my first and most important ministry - while still providing compensation, an unbelievably gracious move on the church's part.

So, with trepidation I took a phone call from the Elders of NCF to set up a meeting to discuss what my work life will look like in our new normal. Jess and I were fretting slightly - wondering what the content or expectations would be.

Fear found a footing.

How will I ever make it work? How will I leave my family and not feel guilty? What will the expectations be and will they overwhelm me? etc, etc, etc. So, as Jess and I approached this meeting with the Elders of NCF two things popped into my mind: fear and authority.

Every man MUST be one under authority and Jesus is our primary example of willful submission to His Father's authority (see the ENTIRE book of John). Fear is that which rightly has no home in the heart of the confessing believer. The fear that I was experiencing was directly related to all that has happened to us and what work will look like in the light of all of it.

The first indication of how it'd go should have been easily identified by the time of the meeting itself; 8:45pm in my home. My kids were all down and things were quiet. As Jess and I poured out our hearts to them, laid out in pain-staking detail the schedule of our new "normal," and shared any other concerns we had we experienced something wonderful... our fears were being relieved and peace was setting in. Without giving undue glory to man - these men of whom I am glad to be under their authority - exhibited tremendous humility. They really listened, they carefully challenged us, and then they prayed with us. In short, the shepherded our hearts with all the gentleness and patience of their Chief Shepherd.

Now, in many respects, my father is my hero. A man devoted first to his God and then to his wife. He has shepherded me for over 30 years now. Never abdicating his responsibility, though not always performed to perfection, he carefully served as an "elder" or shepherd should - in humility and not under compulsion. I have a better view of the Chief Shepherd because of him.

In a day and age when "authority" sounds more like a swear word than the comfy winter coat designed to protect us from the elements that it is - I am joyful. The apostle Paul says it this way, "For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined." Titus 1:7-8

I have seen it growing up and now I have the distinct advantage coming under it as a gainfully employed adult. In both cases the security derived from the appropriate exercise of it has expelled fear.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your representation of authority -- especially in refreshingly representing it as a warm coat and something that allows us to derive security.

    Oh, that we could see His authority as a blessing and our responsibility to acknowledge that authority as one of the greatest gifts we have in Christ!

    ReplyDelete