Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Looking to you


Oh be careful little mouth what you say... many times you let fly with an expletive which aptly describes your current situation. Well, try this on for size: people, whether you believe you are an example or not, are looking to you.

My wife and I sat playing in the bedroom with our 2 year old the other day when she (my daughter, Jada) chucked a toy at me, in lets say, an unfavorable spot. I quickly indicated that it hurt. My wife, always the woman of compassion, said, "daddy is a wuss Jada." To which Jada promptly replied, "daddeeee wusss," in her slightly slurred by very cute little voice.

If you are concerned no one hears or understands what you are saying - you can come to my house and I will let you talk with my daughter who will, no doubt, assist you in repeating your exact words. As I talked with myself later about the incident I realized this, 'Doug, they are looking to you.' Many times as a pastor I feel like my words fall on deaf ears (save those of Jada). However, the fact of the matter is that they are received, whether they are regurgitated or not.

Is my heart right with God? In Matthew 12:34 we are told that "...out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." If people are looking to you...and they are...then we should only hope that they hearing the overflow of our hearts.

The picture above explains a lot. Captain Aviator here did not want to be seen, nor posted on this blog...I might add, but, what happens when you put yourself out there and then hope no one notices, you get noticed. He was not trying to be flashy with his shades, He simply wanted to have protection from the sun on a ski-trip. The innocent onlookers noticed something slightly out of character for the young man and were caught, on camera, in a moment of gawking...embarrassing for both parties.

5 comments:

  1. So I finally did something right? I'm not sure whether I'm being complimented or torn down but either way you have to love those handsome shades... Interesting point though I agree that sometimes we underestimate our impact... although we can overestimate it too. But now decked out with shades I have the urge to go up to someone and say.. "Say, that's a nice bike..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.

    For some reason, the picture did not work for me. Must be my superior MAC...: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about the pic, I will fix that so the reference makes sense. thanks for visiting the blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to Lali - glad you stopped by and I will continue to post so you can have a laugh or two, usually at my expense - hopefully though, you will learn from me too.

    ReplyDelete