Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not ideal or is it?

Last Friday we sat in clinic – Jada and I – when a 4yr old boy walked in with no hair. Jada takes one glance and politely whispers in my ear, “daddy, did he have chemo?” Throughout this whole process I have never been an advocate of keeping information from my daughter for her “protection.” This was no time to veer from the already well-beaten path. I looked her square in the eye and said, “he sure did sweetie, and soon your head will look like that because all of your hair will fall out.” Jada wrinkles up her cute little face and says with a sinister little grin, "maybe it'll come back a different color."

That was Friday...last week. A lot has happened since then and now we are in the hours before dawn of Friday this week, the 28th of January. Jada has been oscillating back and forth - most recently in a conversation with Jess she exclaimed, "I will never be beautiful without my hair!" Its hard to know, but for now this will serve as your update (for those update-hungry folks out there). Now... I get to talk about my wife!

I am an idealist at heart. That is precisely why my definition of 'ideal' was initially challenged when Jessica and I originally began a relationship. There are few things less ideal than I was in high school - to save one the horror of a seared image in your mind, here's the skinny: I was 6 ft. tall and skinny as a rail, I parted my hair in the middle (yes, that's right... I said 'parted'), I wore hand me downs, wore braces, hated anything to do with words or speaking, and sat by myself in the cafeteria day after day. Jessica, now she was ideal (and still is). Not many of you know it, but she used to have curly hair (which was beautiful), was a straight A student, phenomenal athlete, outgoing, and a thousand other characteristics. As far as rank goes, there were not leagues that could have depicted the chasm that existed between her and I - only a spectrum in the world's eyes; her on the high end and me opposite.

So, when college finished and Luke & Debbie Porritt fixed us up (THANK YOU GUYS!), I struggled. You know what its like. You have seen the movies where a guy is tongue tied trying to talk to the beautiful woman - try having that feeling every day. So early on - as the picture indicates- Jessica certainly caught my eye because, in my opinion, she was (is) stunning. However, being an idealist puts a strange sort of seat belt on your expectations. Initially, I thought I might get the amount of consideration that a page turn does in a half interesting book. Jessica, however, has never ceased to wrestle my preconceived notions to the ground and challenge them.

Her and I committed to a time of prayer before we began any sort of relationship. It was not long until the both of us, sensing conviction from the Spirit, began a relationship. This was the summer of 2001. We experienced some not so ideal times on two occasions where we had what I shall call "relational hiccups." They were mainly due to my arrogance (having just graduated Bible college I was the personification of 1 Cor. 8:1-3, but praise be to God's grace, I am being changed more into the image of Jesus now). By God's grace we were rid of the hiccups by July 30th 2003 - the night we were engaged. January 2, 2004 we wed. That day was FULL of "ideals."

Fast forward 7 years, celebrate your anniversary the night before your 5 year old goes into major surgery to have a football sized tumor removed, and you may as well tell "ideal" he doesn't even have to dress for the game - because he is getting NO PLAYING TIME.

Or is he. . .

Our conviction is that the goodness and sovereignty of God has never been in question - not since January 2, 2004 or even now. By the time we will have walked through this whole thing, I can promise you this, God WILL USE IT to make our marriage more ideal. Does that mean that Jessica and I have gotten along perfectly, no. Does that mean we have not shaken our fist at God in anger and confusion, no. Does that mean that we never cry and we always must appear as though we have everything together, again an emphatic NO! I have said it before and I will say it again: "faith is what you find when you face what you are facing."

Here is what I am finding about my wife: "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'" Prov. 31:28-29. Her passion for the Lord drew me. Even now, in anger and/or frustration she is still BEGGING for time alone with Jesus to make sense of it all.

There is no one I would rather walk through this with than you Jessica Marie Rumbold. One day our children will rise and call you blessed because you have clung, with transparency, to the supplier of our hope. It is not a contest it is a destination and our citizenship reveals it (see Philippians 3).

This post is meant to exalt Jesus Christ and the transforming work he has done in OUR relationship. Tell me (by clicking to add a comment), are you being encouraged and transformed by Jesus lately? If so, give all of us a taste with a sentence or two. I'd personally love to hear how God is shaping and changing many of you.


6 comments:

  1. God has been teaching me about my heart.
    I'm reading this book 'Captivating', which is about running to God to fill the deepest desires in our hearts instead of the looking-to-each-other for something only He can give.
    I'm getting closer to the Lover of my soul.

    I'm so greatful for marriages like yours. They are huge encouragement for me.
    Thank you for this post.
    May God be gloryfied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug and Jess - I deeply appreciate your willingness to share so openly what your family is going through. I have been learning much about suffering in a way that glorifies God as I read your posts, and those of Dana Carroll.
    That our suffering (even yours) is nothing compared to what Christ endured on the cross . . . for us. That we are to embrace times like this, knowing that they serve to make us more like Him. And that we are to use our times of suffering to focus, not on ourselves, but on drawing nearer to God, for when we are at our weakest, we are at our strongest, and most useful to Him.

    I am learning that when we are walking on the water, the only way to keep from going under the waves is to lock eyes with Christ. For the moment our eyes go off him, we start to go under.

    I am learning what God's deep love for us looks like, as I see your family fly from all parts of the world to be by your side. As I watch you Rumbold kids loving on each other. As I see Erica and Bonnie caring for Jessica. I am learning more about how the body is to function, as I see each person serving you in the area of their giftedness - one no more or less important than the other.

    I am learning that it really is not all about us, but that it is all about Him. It is one thing to hear these words, it is another thing to see it lived out. To God be the glory, great things He has done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug,
    I continue to be in awe of God's grace. I'm learning that He uses us in our weakness, and when I feel helpless and hopeless, God calls me to lead, which is possible the hardest thing ever. But, He never fails to give all the strength I need to bring Him glory. I am learning that in this, my pride fades and God's glory can't help but shine. My prayer for a long time has been that by the works of my hands, God is praised. It has been through struggle that I have seen this happen in abundance, and for that, I praise God every day and am encouraged that it is not me, but Him that holds the strength.
    My prayers include you, Jess and Jada every day. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such beautiful words about your wife!! Praying fervently for you all, but especially for her as a mother & wife...Still wish we had done a dinner together & still will plan on it sometime in the future...:o)
    Also, for Jada - we recently watched "SweetPea" (one of the newer Veggie Tales movies) with our daughter & it's a remarkable movie - girls can't seem to get away from the "princess" talk, but this movie does a great job about showing what true beauty is & how being a daughter of the King is the most important - I highly recommend it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is teaching me how to trust Him. How to believe Him at His word.
    Jess has taught me so much about being a servant to her family. I pray to be a mother and wife like Jess. You both have been such an example to me of what Christ looks like in marriage. In life and in suffering.
    You are much more than a pretty curly headed neighbor who loves organic food and birthing babies at home married to a Sienfield look-a-like who likes to wash his car with his shirt off 4 days a week. - I love you guys! You could not be more perfect for one another.
    And even now when I look at my mini van- God is showing me that I should not remind my husband of Doug selflessly washing his wifes car - because Greg quickly reminds me that she usually was helping =) At which point I remind him that she was just getting a tan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am humbled by your postings. Through your mothers postings and your blog, you have spoken to my inner being and my own journey with God. You are truely an inspiration and I am in awe. Thank you for sharing what has to be the hardest journey of your lives with us. Such a personal thing, to we mere strangers...May God wrap his arms around your entire family.

    ReplyDelete