Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Who You Are and How You Help

Identity shapes things; from our struggle with indwelt sin to how we help others toward Christ-likeness. So how does living out of our identity help us help others in personal counseling...
In I Jn. 2:6 we learn that whoever says he abides in Christ must “walk in the same way in which he walked.” There was not a portion of the day/life of Jesus that was void of communion/dependence on the Father. The book of John alone has many references to the fact that Jesus could not/would not do anything apart from God. My life ought to reflect the same rhythms: returning to Him thanks, basking in His love for me, seeking his face in everything, discipling others around me, and ministering to the physical needs of others, etc. If I don’t “walk” this way my effectiveness will be out of its depth in a parking lot puddle. 
In I Cor. 4:17 Paul explains that he is sending Timothy to “remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.”  This smacks of consistency and trustworthiness. From church to church others were not saying, “Paul is losing it, he said this to the Colossians but this to the Philippians.” No, Paul was trustworthy and as a point of fact asked the Corinthians to imitate him as he imitated Christ. I am able to help people when there is a consistently observable pattern of obedience and wisdom in my life that point to Jesus. 
Finally, as I survey the life and walk of Christ I am amazed by his faith. Luke 22:42 unveils this reality: “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” A submission to the process that He sets forth (of my own or other’s sanctification) is seen as best. The most influential piece of my identity in the helping of others is a joyful, willful submission to His way and plans on His timetable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment