Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Rest... please

Read Matt. 12:25-30

There is an invitation to all of us that Jesus extends with regard to rest. It involves a trip ("come to me") and an exchange ("take my yoke"). Rest is such hard work, it would seem. Why must we go to him (surrender) and give up something (trust) in order to have it?

To be honest, why is it that so many of us become quasi-defensive when asked the question, "Are you resting in the Lord?"

Perhaps this experience equates to a back door insult for some of us. "You must be asking me if I am resting in the Lord precisely because you think I am not. OR WORSE. Maybe I don't even know what it is to rest so I am troubled by my lack of knowledge and experience in the area."

As always, scripture is a familiar, reliable and foundational beacon. Notice some of what Jesus says...

  • "Hidden... revealed... your gracious will..." What was hidden, revealed and part of his gracious will:
    • The overall significance of Jesus' mission required revelation. This was not a journey of self-discovery or anything that could be found in a book. It involved (and still does) an encounter with the Man Jesus Christ. Since that seemed foolish to the wise and understanding God went to the "B" team so to speak. Children. Those who are not young in age necessarily but those who are humble of heart; acknowledging their need of him. Are you a "B" team member? 
  • "Come... take my yoke..." Surrender and trust. 
    • Rest therefore, is first and foremost about knowing God. Not a vacation, not a day off or a cocktail at the end of a long day. A "yoke" in ancient times (and even now) is a device that secured two oxen together for the purpose of plowing a field. Where the strength of the dominant beast goes the other under yoke would be obligated to follow
Rest, in this way, is an invitation to follow after the strength of Jesus through surrender ("You are God and I am not") and trust ("Your plans and purposes for me are better than anything I could conjure up"). It's an invitation to do only what I can. God has prepared these things in advance for me, Ephesians 2:1-10 shows me this. Rest says, "it all depends on you God." Surrender and trust become vital components to rest.
While I would love to give some awesome and practical guidance... perhaps these questions and observations will help you engage the idea of rest.
  1. Do I create space to recognize the divine presence? God is omnipresent (meaning everywhere at once).  How do I make space for you Jesus, to upset the equilibrium of my ordinary world with the holy expectation for you to fulfill something in the future? When you tell me to seek your kingdom first do I realize that I am ordering my present day by future realities?
  2. (Here is a person remark from my journal concerning rest): "When I lack true rest in Christ I find myself lacking creativity and problem-solving, I am resourceless in my spirit to provide godly counsel, and frustrated at the missed opportunities that I have. Really, I seem to be living the life of regret when sloth is at the helm." What about you? What happens when you lack true rest in Christ? 
  3. (Another journal observation): "Having been exposed to an environment that often used comparison for motivation, discipline, or instruction... I am now beginning to see that the limited nature of my spiritual vision is a desperate glance over the shoulder to see if someone is gaining on me. This makes it impossible to rest. Lord help me rest in you." 
    1. If comparison is the thief of JOY, how does that create unrest in your spirit? 
    2. What active good is worship, personal and corporate; the Word, deeply and prayerfully engaged; the mission, living the very priorities of Jesus in making disciples; the Spirit's comfort, simply receiving the comfort that God says is yours because you are HIS CHILD. Not doing anything but passively - hands out - receiving what God wants to give? 
In closing... I encourage you to pick up a copy of the Bible and use it as you read: The Radical Pursuit of Rest. I used this book and God's word for a personal day of oasis if you will some time back. I am still reaping the benefits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment