Saturday, April 9, 2011

"I hate mortality"

"I hate mortality." The words flew off my tongue as I kissed Jessica goodbye with my arms loaded up full of bags and a 6-year-old...and I walked out the door. That was only 2.5hrs ago.

I hate mortality because it is so much more immanent than it ever was in days past. Mortality stands ready to remind each of us that the life we so take for granted is but a breath - each moment that passes can scarce guarantee the next. That, for the sake of my daughter and the rest of my family, is what I loathe. Last night Jada's appetite and demeanor went markedly down hill. This morning she woke with zero appetite and asked me to hold her to the couch from her bedroom.

Anyone knows that Jada Noel Rumbold does not "give" easily in regards to just resting...so this came as a surprise. I took her tempt mid morning and it was already 99. Knowing that 100.4 earns an undesirable trip to the hospital, I kept checking. Within 2hrs it had climbed past 102. If this were Facebook I would click the comment button and type, "DISLIKE!" I called, they (hospital) responded and our bags were packed. Jess and I stood in her bedroom before my departure praying over her - tears streaming down my face, much as they are right now as I write this, begging God for strength and comfort as well as healing.

We arrived and were checked in promptly. I read to her, I prayed with her, and I put her to sleep for a short nap. Now, I count the minutes until she is awake while I pound these emotions out on the keyboard. Despite all the emotional noise plaguing my ears, the Spirit CLEARLY spoke to me - read Ephesians 2.

Obediently I picked up my phone, clicked on the Bible app and began reading.

"...remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having NO HOPE and WITHOUT GOD IN THE WOLRD. BUT NOW in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He HIMSELF is our PEACE..." (2:12-14a)

I may loathe this process of refinement as much as I revel in its benefits to Jess and I spiritually. To dislike the process is human. However, I urge the reader of this to consider the following: how much more hellish would this whole experience be for us (or anyone else) if we had "no hope" and were "without God in the world?" The answer is simple. It would be AWFUL.

It is a sweet refrain when one can sing again and again, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." I am no longer separate, no longer far off, no longer without hope, no longer without peace. So maybe I don't hate mortality. Maybe, just maybe, its a good thing. Being reminded of my alienation, lack of hope, and distance from God is good. From God's perspective mortality is a wrench, or a screwdriver... a tool used to illustrate the immortality and enduring HOPE found in Jesus.

8 comments:

  1. Grieving the pain and refinement process with you. Yet praising God for the end result as well! Praying for you all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug...HOPE has been on my mind constantly today...now I know why. This is what I will be teaching the next generation on tomorrow. HE is our hope....and I pray HE is your peace right now. Thanks for bearing your heart bro. Praying always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that God brings you peace of mind and spirit and that the Lord brings healing to Jada and knowledge to the physicians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying HOPE for you and your family. I remember well in our recent refinement process that HOPE was such a precious commodity to us. You are loved and so cared about by so many and especially by the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to pray for you. Caleb (10 yrs old) prays for you Jada, every single night. We do not know you personally, but we love you.
    Because Of Him,
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for you all. Daily. And throughout the days/weeks/months as our thoughts turn to your family.
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  7. "From God's perspective mortality is a wrench, or a screwdriver... a tool used to illustrate the immortality and enduring HOPE found in Jesus."

    Then every pain is a tear-filled gift, exciting not only tears in us, but in God Himself -- who does all things to witness to us of the pain Christ endured only because mankind has found it necessary to turn their backs on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe of the responses God's people send you. God's love does shine. God is good. God is just. God is perfect.

    ReplyDelete