Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day of a Different Kind

Psalm 103:13 "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him"


Remember when you were younger how big your dad's hand was? I can remember with utter clarity that hand. It was firm when needed, it was gentle and guiding when necessary, but most importantly - it was there... always. Now, I realize there are many reading this who may not have a father or had a good experience with their father - I urge you to consider a man who simply loved you. 


This is my father - a loving man, a little rough around the edges, but hey he had to be as a father of eight. Above you will notice a picture of him with Jada the day before her surgery (Jan. 2nd 2011).  Memories like these abound. As I woke this morning in the hospital lying next to my daughter who is presently here because of a case of the shingles after having chemo I got to thinking... "this is not the father's day I desired." I began to reminisce about my father - how he LIVES his life and the example that has set not only for me, but SO MANY. 


Briefly, here are a few of the thoughts provoked by meditating on Scripture as it related to my father that I think will be useful for all of us today: - Each of these was first put forward by God as the best dad - 

  1. A good dad is humble - knowing that God provides wisdom for him and he passes that wisdom to his children (Prov. 4:3-4).
  2. A good dad is there - in our culture of a quick buck and overtime, nicer cars and a larger home. We forget the primary role of a good dad is to be present. Presence speaks many things over worried heart (Hebrews 13:5-6).
  3. A good dad sacrifices - A good dad demonstrates his love by sacrifice - in many ways (Romans 5:8). 
  4. A good dad disciplines his children - Here is a concept that has gotten muddled in our day. Its even been peddled off as abuse. However, when performed biblically, it provides security and identity for the recipient and is in fact one of THE MOST LOVING things a dad can do (Hebrews 12:4-11).
  5. A good dad sends - a good dad realizes that one of his primary, God-ordained roles is that of disciplemaking in his children and wife. Therefore, a good dad does not hoard his children solely for his enjoyment, he sends them into the world as proclaimers of Christ's gift of salvation (John 20:21).
With all these things said, I cannot help but consider a friend of mine, David Peters. He's celebrating Father's Day with the looming decision of what's best for his daughter. That's hard no matter how you slice it. David is a father of four with the weight of the world on his shoulders at the moment. His daughter Cora - whom we have become very close to - is a cancer patient whose recently experienced some setbacks in treatment. Now, David and his wife Karen have some HUGE decisions to make. 

I am proposing two things here: One, I am choosing to fast and pray for them tomorrow (that is the day when the decisions will need to be made) for wisdom, guidance and a fresh experience of God's never-leaving, never-giving up, always-and-forever love in the form of peace. Secondly, I urge you to CLICK HERE to visit Cora's caring bridge site and join me in fasting and praying for a family tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment