Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sacrifice or something like it

There are limited times, you see, when a child will still listen to their father's "important" instruction. I am not sure whether that window has eclipsed with any of my children yet, much less Jada - whom I seem to be getting an inordinate amount of time with lately. What I do know is this; while I try to make sense of this journey of faith for myself I will drag along any who are in my path in hopes of enhancing others' vision of Jesus.

So, with that clearly in your sites, understand that I brought the "Job" book written by John Piper to the hospital for my own purposes this week. I sat on my bed/couch to begin reading it last night. Jada glances at me and says, "will you read me that Job book - I like the picture on the front?" I hadn't thought of it yet - but already a few pages in, I decided to grant her request, and climbed in bed with my daughter ready to explain every 3rd word of the book to her. The pictures are detailed and for that matter obvious question inducers for a child Jada's age. "No worries," I think, "I got this under control. I am an educated man and can answer her vocab questions."

The story picks up quickly and Jada is not drowsy at all - which I thought she would be considering the drugs already administered and the fact that chemo was only a 1/2 hour away. We get to the point (don't worry, there are no spoilers of the book in this blog, just observations) in the story where Job is pictured over an altar with a lamb making a sacrifice for his children's sins and he is earnestly pleading with God on their behalf. The quote reads, God - "O man of God, today again you seek the precious lives of ten young souls. Now tell me, with your heart, would you be willing, Job, to part with all your children, if in my deep counsel I should judge that by such severing more good would be and you would know far more of me?"... Job - "O God, have mercy on my seed. I yield to what you have decreed."

Jada processes. . .

I turn the page and begin to read the next one. She clutches my shoulder and says, "Dad, was God asking Job to put his children on the altar instead of the lamb?" "In a nutshell, yes he was honey." "Why? because Job was already killing lambs for his children?" "Well honey, we can't rightly get at God in our comfort - we know him best when we need him most. Jada, it would be like you praying to God and asking him to help you know him better. When he responds he says to you, 'I am going to take all your toys and your health because it will teach you to cling to me above anything else and that is GOOD.' make sense sweetie?" Her brow furrows up while she makes that adorable smile and half whispering she says, "it seems like God always wants what's hardest to give."

Deep breath, sigh, and remind myself that cancer for a 5 year old is a crash course in applied theology more than anything else. "Jada, the book of Romans says that God is working all things together for our good if we know Jesus. So, you decide if its hard to give him what you want to hold on to OR if it is trusting that what He is doing in you IS good. You see honey, because God IS GOOD (that is part of His unchanging character) all He does is Good, even when it does not seem like it. What he was telling Job was, 'trust me Job, you think what you have now is great, wait until I give you a better definition of great.' Jada, I want you and I, and our whole family to echo the words of Job, "I yield to what you have decreed."

I pray that as God challenges you with this concept you will make a personal commitment to trust Him over and against relinquishing our comforts. Think about it for a moment, you don't think I would like to rewind 8 weeks and have things the way they were? There are days, to be sure, where this is exactly the sentiment. Be that as it may, Jessica CONTINUE to experience the smile of God in a thousand manifest ways daily. That is reason enough to stay the course - God HAS Promised that we will not be overwhelmed, or tested beyond what we can bear, or left as orphans, or that this trial will result in anything BUT good. So, yes, Jesus, Jada is not ours - she never was - we are just her parents as stewards tending to the blessing from you she represents to us.

At this point I'd be curious to know what your thoughts are - post a comment below.



15 comments:

  1. Totally right on. You and your family are speaking volumes about following Christ and seeing the goodness of God in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for "dragging" us with you on this journey. If we don't comment too much, it may be that we remember that Job's friends didn't quite get it - - - so we sit here, listen and learn from your family (especially Jada!) as you are in the Job spot. I do know that it is so good to trust that God has the biggest best plan even when it is so not what I would choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Jada - "it seems like God always wants what's hardest to give." Wow. Thanks for the reminder that despite the pain and uncertainty of change, God sees the whole picture and is continually working our lives for good. -a reminder I am needing daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jada~
    Andrew, Karis, Caleb and I prayed for you at breakfast this morning.

    Doug~
    Thank you for the thoughts. You are applying Job to your life in a way that most of us do not have to, but the truths are still the same. Surrender. All areas of our lives. I'm finding I'm having to surrender and relinquish comforts in a different way and wanting to not stay the course as a pastor's wife. Thank you for allowing the Jesus to use you as a vehicle of edification and admonishment to this individual this morning.
    Hope the baby slept well last night and that you and Jessica were able to rest. That was our specific prayer for your family at dinner last night~and that Jada would have no pain.
    Because of Him,
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story was great, but the last line was amazing man; this puts a good perspective on the 3-way relationship between you, God, and your child of God. God bless, and may your strength continue on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a little child shall lead them. All of your blogs have given me added strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of what God is doing in your lives. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are touching more lives than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We christian parents know that our children are not ours but the Lords and that they are ours for a very short time to bring them up to know and to give glory to God through Jesus. Being willing to give them back to Him, if God asks us to that is where faith and trust and love begins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "it seems like God always wants what's hardest to give." Jada's words echo in my mind and my heart as I have felt these sentiments many times. And Romans gives us the assurance that there is purpose in the pain. Your posts, so eloquently worded, admonish me, shape me, challenge me, and cause me to lift my hands and heart to my Father with a desire to know Him more intimately. There is a purpose beyond Jada's hospital. The ripple spreads far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My faith has been strengthened by your honest posts. Tell Jada she is a brave girl who is able to have an impact because she is trusting her good earthly father and her sovreign heavenly one. To God be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good afternoon Jada, February 17 at 2:19 pm
    Karis, Caleb, Andrew and I prayed that you would sleep well last night, have no pain and have a good day today. We prayed for you this morning-that you would have no pain today. We prayed for your brothers, especially that your baby brother will sleep at night so your mom and dad will get rest. We prayed for your mommy and daddy that they will know that there is a family who is praying for you and your family every.single.day.all.through.day.without.ceasing.
    Because of Jesus,
    Mrs. Tammy and the Schindel kids

    ReplyDelete
  12. February 19 @8:08 EST
    Hello Jada,
    The kids and I have been traveling to visit their cousin in Greenville, SC but I wanted you to know that we are praying for you. Everyday, at least twice a day but usually more. We are praying that you will have a good day tomorrow!
    Because of Jesus,
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Rumbold Family,
    I wanted to let you know I've been thinking about your family and praying for your family all day today. My 16 year old daughter Mikaela wants you all to know she prayed for you this morning-your testimony has been an encouragement to her. We are asking the Lord to give you a good night of rest.
    Because of Jesus,
    The Schindel's

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doug,
    Thank you. This post is so profound and speaks straight into the very center of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doug,

    Just stumbled on your page from a Desiring God link... I am Chris Koelle's marketing director (the artist who drew Job the Book). I'm sure he'd love to hear how his drawings influenced your life. Shot me a note at willevanparker@yahoo.com

    Romans 11:36
    Will

    ReplyDelete